Monday, February 22, 2010

Chickpea sweet potato & spinich curry

When cooking on a budget it's always nice to make some meals that revolve around the "Bean family"
So here is a curry I whipped up today- mind you I didn't really measure my spices so I will try my best to remember how I did it :) Enjoy. (Naomi loved it)

olive oil or coconut for sauteing 
1 yellow onion chopped up
2 large sweet potatoes 
2 1/2 C of chickpeas (I soaked some overnight then cooked the next morning-cheaper than canned)
1 small package of frozen spinach (use fresh if you have it)
2 Tbs curry powder
1 tsp garam masala powder (if on hand)
1 tsp ginger
1tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
1 can chicken or vege broth
1 can coconut milk

Saute onion with all the spices and seasonings in a large pot
meanwhile cube sweet potato and steam in microwave for 10 mins
put frozen spinach on top after onions are cooked 
pour over coconut milk turn up heat until spinach begins to loosen and cook
add broth
add in chickpeas and sweet potato
and simmer for 20 minutes

pour over brown rice and add chopped fresh basil or cilantro on top

ENJOY


 

2 comments:

Diana said...

Hooray for comments! Hooray for computer savvy husbands who fix broken comment buttons (that's you Ryan)! Hooray for Rosie's delicious healthy recipes! Hooray for blogs so that I can keep up with your heart 5000 miles away! Hooray for heart friends! And thus, I shall stop for now... Hooray!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't help myself. :-)

Britney said...

Hey Rosie! I LOVE your recipes!! Hope to try them soon, thanks!!